Men’s basketball aims for a winning streak on Saturday at the Citadel
CHATTANOOGA — The Chattanooga Mocs men’s basketball team is looking to improve on their four-game winning streak and stay atop the Southern Conference standings when they travel to Charleston, South Carolina, to take on league foe The Citadel on Saturday afternoon inside McAlister Field House. Tipping is set at 1 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
Chattanooga (17-4, 7-1 SoCon) is coming off a regular-season sweep from Wofford after beating the Terriers 71-60 inside McKenzie Arena on Wednesday night. The Mocs currently sit first in the SoCon standings, just half a game ahead of Furman (7-2). After games through January 27, UTC is ranked No. 43 in the NET Rankings and No. 7 in the Collegeinsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll.
The Citadel (9-10, 3-5 SoCon) have won their last two games after suffering a three-game slip with both wins by two points. The Bulldogs beat ETSU on the road last Saturday 75-73, before beating the Catamounts at home Wednesday 68-66. UTC won the first match between the two teams 85-67 on January 8.
The game at The Citadel will be available LIVE on ESPN+ and accessible through the Watch ESPN platform. Fans can also listen LIVE on WFLI 96.1 FM/100.3 FM/1070 AM in Chattanooga as well as on the Varsity Network app.
RADIO RATING: WFLI has added 96.1 and 100.3 FM to its arsenal of stations. The previous deal had the Mocs on 97.7 FM and 1070 AM, which was a good base of operation. As of this weekend, 96.1 takes the place of 97.7 while 100.3 is added. Switching to 96.1 adds the audio range to approximately 100,000 homes while 100.3 extends overall coverage further north of the Tennessee River, notably strengthening the signal at Hixson and Soddy-Daisy.
Mocs Sports Network is developed by Mocs Sports Properties, the Learfield-owned media rights holder for Mocs athletics. MSN carries all men’s and women’s basketball and soccer games as well as “Chat with the Mocs”, a weekly coaching show covering all things Mocs.
Mocs Sports Network stations: 96.1 FM, 100.3 FM and 1070 AM.
THE BASICS OF THE GAME
▪ Chattanooga (17-4, 7-1) at The Citadel (9-10, 3-5)
▪ 1:00 p.m. ET | McAlister Country House (6,000) | Charleston, South Carolina
▪ WATCH (ESPN+) | LISTEN (WFLI 96.1FM/100.3FM/1070AM) | STATISTICS
Chattanooga | The Citadel | SoCon (1/25)
SERIES HISTORY – 89and Meeting
All the time: 69-19 – Chattanooga
Last: 85-67, Chattanooga – January 8, 2022 (McKenzie Arena)
Homepage: 38-6 – Chattanooga
A way: 30-13 – Chattanooga
Neutral: 1-0 – Chattanooga
– Chattanooga enters the game with a 17-4 record and a 7-1 mark in SoCon play…half game at No. 1 in the SoCon standings (Furman, 7-2)…after a win at 71-60 home to Wofford on Wednesday … finished the Terries regular season sweep … kept Wofford at his lowest FG percentage of the season … never trailed past 9:00 in the first half.
– Chattanooga beat The Citadel 85-67 in their first meeting of the season on January 8…the victory marked the seventh victory in the last nine tries under the head coach Lamont Paris… Darius Banks took the defensive mission on SoCon POTY contender Hayden Brown and held Brown without FG for the entirety of the contest and limited Brown to just four points (all FT).
– The Citadel enters the game 9-10 overall and 3-5 inside the league…the Bulldogs have won their last two games after enduring a three-game skid. .both wins by two runs. .. one at ETSU (1/22, 75-73) and at home against Western Carolina (1/26, 68-66).
– Chattanooga moved up six spots to No. 7 in the latest Collegeinsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 poll… only SoCon team in the top 25… Chattanooga moved up to No. 9 in the latest Field of 68 Mid-Major Top 25 .
– 18 points for Malachi Smith in Wednesday’s win over Wofford … snapped a school-tied DI-era 20-point six-point streak matching Derrick Kirce (1991) and Chad Copeland (1994) … Smith leads the Southern Conference and ranks 7th in the NCAA DI with 21.5 points per game on average…2nd in the NCAA DI in total points with 452…has posted 12 consecutive road games with 20+ dating back to last season…with an average of 25.6 ppg on the road this campaign.
– In an offense that looks to the 3PT line for a boost, Chattanooga is a perfect 10-0 this season shooting 40.0 percent or better from beyond the arc…28-12 record shooting at 40.0%+ in HC Lamont Paris‘ Term (2017-18)…shot 40.0% (8 of 20) in victory at VMI…44.0% (11 of 25) at sea. defeat Wofford.
– David John the Baptist arrived on the UTC campus before the 2016-17 season and took on head coach Matt McCall that season… Jean-Baptiste has been a member of the Southern Conference for more than 8 of the 10 head coaches current ones (UTC, WOF, UNCG, ETSU, WCU, SAM, FOURRURE, MER).
FOLLOW CHATTANOOGA BASKETBALL
Follow @GoMocsMBB on Twitter & to instagram for the latest Chattanooga men’s basketball information and news.
GoMocs.com is the official Chattanooga Mocs website. Buy officially licensed gear from our Online Store. Mocs can also be tracked on their official website Facebook page or on Twitter. Find out how to join the Mocs Club and support over 300 student-athletes by clicking here.